More and more people today are admitting how impactful having a healthy smile can be to their self-confidence. We see teeth whitening tools and products of all sorts in the grocery stores and online. Dentists offer a wider variety of services now, too. But what exactly is cosmetic dentistry and can it really help you?
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is dental work that improves the appearance, but not necessarily the function, of your teeth, gums or bite, according to Wikipedia.
But cosmetic dentistry is not an official field of dentistry. So make sure your cosmetic dental provider has valid dentistry certifications, like a DDS or DMD.
What Can Cosmetic Dentistry Do for You?
When you think of ways to improve your smile, you might first think of whitening your not-so-white teeth. But cosmetic dentistry can also help fix:
- Cracked or chipped teeth
- Missing teeth and gaps
- Teeth with root canals
Schedule An Appointment with a Team You Can Trust
FIND A LOCATION NEAR YOU
Typically, cosmetic dentistry may include several services, such as:
- Teeth whitening can be done using powerful products like ZOOM in your dentist’s office.
- Enamel shaping and contouring involves a filing-like procedure to subtly reshape your teeth.
- Veneers are a thin layer of ceramic or composite resin tooth-colored material placed over your teeth to improve their shape, size or color.
- Bonding involves using tooth-colored composite resin to improve the shape of your tooth.
- Tooth-colored fillings can improve the shape, size or color of your teeth.
- Bridges involve attaching natural-looking teeth replacements to both sides of a gap in order to close it.
- Crowns, usually made from a tooth-colored porcelain, are bonded to your damaged teeth to cover or encircle them.
- Dentures give you a removable plate with one tooth to a full set of artificial teeth.
- Dental implants entail installing titanium posts into your jawbone, letting your gums heal and then attaching natural-looking crowns to them to give you a more permanent and natural solution.
- Braces involve a system of brackets glued to your teeth and tied together with steel wires and tiny rubber bands to gently move your teeth.
- Invisalign straightens your teeth more subtly using a series of clear, plastic aligner trays.
Obviously, cosmetic dentistry offers several procedures that will enhance the appearance of your teeth and your smile. But some of the more involved procedures like bridges to dental implants will arguably improve the health and position of your teeth as well. Learn about the other dental services we offer in our North Carolina offices.
Ask the Right Questions
As always, before having any cosmetic dentistry done, check your provider’s qualifications and ask:
- What does the procedure involve and how long will it take?
- What will it cost? (if it’s only for cosmetic reasons, your insurance may not cover it)
- What are the benefits and risks?
- How much experience and success do you have with this procedure? (ask for before and after photos)
- Is any special maintenance required after this procedure is done?
Searching for the right dentist? Explore the best practices for “Finding the Best Cosmetic Dentist in North Carolina.”
Trust MyOrthodontist For All Your Cosmetic Dentistry Needs
Of course, with a full staff of certified, professional dentists and orthodontists in North Carolina, MyOrthodontist will provide cosmetic dentistry to design the perfect smile for you in a pain-free and pleasant environment. We invite you to contact MyOrthodontist offices today to set up your next appointment.
Find a Location Learn About Us