Important information for better oral health. The best medicine is preventative medicine. As anyone that has ever had dental cavities knows, it’s preferable to avoid then rather than having to get them treated. To help you spend less time in the dentist’s chair and keep your smile looking gorgeous and healthy, we have put together this list of the top 10 causes of dental cavities.
Ten Causes of Dental Cavities
- Poor Oral Hygiene – Brushing alone is not enough to prevent dental cavities. You need to be sure to floss on a daily basis as well.
- Enamel Issues – People that have issues with their enamel or deep crevices in their teeth are often more susceptible to dental cavities.
- Improper Nutrition – A diet high in sugar, carbs, and fats can contribute to dental cavities. Eating a balanced diet full of whole grains, lean meats, fruits, and vegetables helps you avoid many of the underlying causes of dental cavities.
- Sugary Foods – Bacteria in your mouth feed on the sugar in things like soda and candy and contribute to the formation of dental cavities. When you’re trying to avoid sugary foods, be sure to look out for the obvious culprits as well as things that have “hidden sugars.”
- Acidic Foods and Drinks – The acid in soda, fruit juice and other foods and drinks breaks down the protective enamel on your teeth and makes it easier for dental cavities to form. Tweet This
- Dry Mouth – Saliva helps inhibit the formation of plaque which eventually leads to dental cavities.
- Tooth Grinding – Over time, tooth grinding breaks down the enamel on your teeth and puts you at risk of getting more dental cavities.
- Genetics – Some people simply get more cavities because of the genetics they were born with.
- Age – The older you get the more likely you are to get dental cavities due to the erosion of enamel or prescription medications which can cause dry mouth.
- Avoiding the Dentist – Even if you take great care of your teeth and avoid as many of the causes of dental cavities as possible, you will need to see the dentist on a regular basis for cleanings and x-rays.
Keep Your Smile Healthy with the Help of MyOrthodontist
If you need to get a cavity taken care of or you are overdue for a dental checkup, rely on the team at MyOrthodontist. Find the office closest to you and make an appointment at your convenience.
Learn About Us